Sunday, June 10, 2012

4th Dam to Dam

Last weekend was my fourth Dam to Dam 20k. I'm happy to say I finished the race again. My time was 2:51:40, which unfortunately is my slowest time of the four finishes. This is a trend that I intend to work hard to reverse during the next year.

In the week since the Dam to Dam race it seemed my body was telling me it needed some rest after a pretty intense couple of weeks that included the D2D and Gladiator Assault Challenge. I know this because my ankle hurt for 2 days immediately after the race, then after one pain free day my right knee decided to start hurting, and that still hasn't stopped. Although it feels much better now than it did Wednesday.

I can't think of anything that triggered the knee pain directly, so the theory has been that it was some sort of delayed over use injury. I've never experienced that before, so if you have let me know, just for some reassurance that this kind of thing actually does happen.

Going forward, I need to get my KOSAMA attendance back up to 6 days per week. In addition to that I want to get a run in 3 days per week. My plan is to start back a ground zero for the runs. I want to start slow and rebuild my base mileage until I get to 15 to 20 miles per week, and then I want to sustain that indefinitely. Then when specific races come up I can tune the running sessions for speed work and tempo based on the distance.

So that's it for now. I promise I'm still working on the mid year assessment if your waiting to here about it.I'll leave you with this picture that almost exactly sums up this past week of recovery for me.

more motivational posters from Runner world here.


320.2

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on finishing your 4th Dam race! I just did my second, and I tell you, I felt great during the runs, but this past week I was getting sore in places that hadn't felt before - I'm guessing your knee is the same way (although I'm not any sort of medical person at all). Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete